Tuesday, May 3, 2011

3 Chili Rice- your taste buds will sit up and shout Ole!

Confession, I HATE spanish rice...except this recipe.

This recipe was originally made for my birthday dinner years ago by my good friend Jeanne. Being that my birthday is Cinco de Mayo, Mexican food and celebration dinners are the norm for me. (Thank you Jeanne for the gift of a great spanish rice recipe!)
I have NEVER liked spanish rice .... until the day I tried this recipe.
It is flavorful and moist. It is also pretty- I like pretty food! And lastly, it smells great. I made this recipe tonight for my ward's Relief Society meeting.
It's my favorite. I hope it will become yours too!
This photo doesn't do it justice, but it gives you an idea of what the finished product looks like.

3 Chili Rice
2 pasilla chilies
4 Tbs. olive oil
3/4 c. chopped onion
1 1/2 Tbs. minced garlic
1 1/2 Tbs. chopped seeded jalapeno chili
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 c. long grain white rice
1 3/4 cans chicken broth (15 oz.)
3/4 can diced tomatoes (I used whole tomatoes and pureed them- it's a texture thing)
1 1/4 tsp. salt (if you use chicken bouillon or chicken broth omit this)
1/2 bag frozen peas
2 green onions, thinly sliced


Char pasilla chilies over gas flame or under broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed, and finely chop the poblanos.
Heat oil in heavy lrg. skillet over low heat. Add poblanos, onion, garlic, jalapeno and spices. Saute until onion becomes soft, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Add rice, saute for 2 minutes more. Add 1 1/2 cans of broth, 1/2 can of crushed tomatoes, and salt. Bring just to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer. As the rice simmers, check it every 5 minutes, it will dry out. You will need to add liquid. Add remaining broth and pureed tomatoes as needed.  Cook for 25 minutes until rice is tender. Mix in frozen peas and green onions. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 10 minutes. Fluff rice and serve.
Serves 8-10 gracefully.

No comments:

Counter