Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Peter and Happy Tax Day!!

Today is my husband's birthday. We are going to have a nice dinner for him. I'm making this recipe called Halibut Supreme I found in my cookbook called The Essential Mormon Cookbook. I thought I would give you the recipe in case you want to try it.

Halibut Supreme
2 lbs. fresh halibut pieces
1/2 butter
1/4 c. flour
2 c. milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbs. chopped onion
1 Tbs. butter
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
Buttered bread crumbs ( 1 c. crumbs plus 2 Tbs. melted butter)

Place halibut in salted boiling water. Simmer, covered, about 20 min. or until flaky. Drain well and set aside.
In a med. saucepan, make white sauce by melting the 1/4 c. butter, then stirring in flour until well combined. Add milk, salt, and Worcestershire, stirring constantly over med. heat until the mixture comes to a boil. continue cooking at a boil about 2 min. or until thickened. Remove from heat; set aside.
Saute onion in the 1 Tbs. of butter for aout 5 min. or until tender. Add to white sauce. Layer halibut, cheese,an sauce in greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish, ending with the sauce on top. Top with buttered bread crumbs. Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings.

Along with the fish, I'm making wino rice and a vegetable and his favorite cherry cheesecake. I hope he will like it. He loves seafood, so I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
Wino rice is a little misleading. I just call it that because it has a small amount of sherry in it which makes it so flavorful. I've included that recipe, too, in case you want it. My good friend Jeanne Clark gave it to me. It came in this 1950's home-ec cookbook she has. My son Steven LOVES this rice, he'll eat 4 servings of it if I let him.

Rice Pilaf (AKA Wino Rice)
2 c. long grain rice
1/4 lb. butter (1 stick)
2 10.5 oz. cans chicken broth
1 can water
1/2 c. sherry
1 c. green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
Saute rice with butter until brown. Place in baking dish and add broth, water, sherry and green onions. Cover and bake 1 hr. at 300.

Now, off to make a delicious dinner for my hubster.

Oh, and by the way, my friend came over and sat with the kids today so I could go get my chest x-ray. I should hear back in a day or two about the results. I'm making headway one step at a time.


No comments:

Counter