Sunday, May 31, 2009

Potato chip cookies & Steven's Idaho state project

Friday Steven finally finished up his Idaho project. He had to design a float using a wagon to be wheeled around and shown to all the grades. In addition, we baked 260 bite-size potato chip cookies for him to pass out as "souvenirs" to the students in other grades. Mostly except for a few kids, they got rave reviews about them. You can taste very little of the potato chips. It mostly tastes like a chocolate chip cookie.
Amazingly, I got this recipe from a cookbook my mother-in-law and sister-in-law made about 15 years ago. I treasure this cookbook because it has many of Peter's favorite recipes in it. My mother-in-law contributed this recipe. I have no idea where it originated otherwise, but it is a good recipe and a great way to use up those potato chips that are all broken up lurking in the bottom of the bag. Of course I would not use Doritos or Cheetos, you use plain old potato chips, either the ones with ridges or not.

Potato Chip Cookies
1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla ( I used more like 1 tsp.)
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. finely crushed potato chips
1 12 oz. package chocolate chips
Combine all ingredients well. Bake on cookie sheets at 350 degrees for 10 min.

Well, that's all for my weird cookie contributions. I generally stick to my basic cookies like oatmeal chocolate chip or sugar cookies.
The next recipe I want to try is one that is similar to Granny B's soft sugar cookies. When we lived in Utah and attended BYU we would buy them as a treat. They are about the size of a CD, frosted with pink icing and they are very moist and downright delicious! I'll let you know about the results.

No comments:

Counter