Sunday, October 25, 2009

Gale Family Favorite - Potstickers the Gale way

Tonight I did NOT want to cook dinner. So, I went to the freezer and found the trusty bag of potstickers. Being not your average family, we have our quirks, we don't serve our potstickers the 'normal' way.
I serve our potstickers sauteed with a tasty homemade teriyaki sauce over rice of course and then we had some egg rolls fresh from the freezer. I don't make egg rolls or potstickers homemade, yet. I'm not that big of a food snob - yet.
The potstickers generally come out at Jonathon's begging and insistence or on a night I am desperately searching for something fast and easy. Gale style potstickers are one of Jonathon's favorite foods. He will eat the leftovers off of any and all plates on the table.
The potstickers I'm talking about are the ones that come in the big bag from Costco. The brand is Ling Ling. There is a sauce packet that comes with them, but my kids prefer the teriyaki sauce to the sauce provided in the bag. In fact, those same potstickers are on sale at Costco right now. It's on my to do list of things to buy once we get paid again on the 2nd of November. Generally we get paid on the 1st of every month, but this is one of the shell games the legislature is playing with our tax payer dollars. Gotta love it! But, again I digress. Back to the topic: potstickers.
I have tried many teriyaki brands and recipes. But this one I have found is my favorite. It is a slight variation of a recipe I discovered a couple years ago on Allrecipes. The original recipe is called Baked Teriyaki Chicken. But, what I do is double the sauce and use it with the potstickers. It's a marvelous all-purpose teriyaki sauce.

Teriyaki Sauce
2 Tbs. cornstarch
2 Tbs. cold water
1 c. white sugar
1 c. lite soy sauce
1/2 c. cider vinegar
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. black pepper

In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the cornstarch, cold water, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and ground black pepper. Let simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens and bubbles.

No comments:

Counter