Monday, July 13, 2009

A surfer and his dog


A surfer and his dog
Originally uploaded by bonniemomof5
Saturday around noon we decided to take a quick trip to the beach. I wanted to go to a beach where we could include our dog. And, by the way, she hated it! She hates water, she didn't like the sand. But, it was a good opportunity for her to get out and socialize with other dogs.

We decided to go to Huntington Beach Dog Beach ( a little redundant, don't you think?). It is a stretch of beach just south of Bolsa Chica where dogs can be off their leash and play and be free. It is also a great environment for my son Ethan to visit with other dogs, being the animal lover that he is.

We spent a great afternoon and evening there. We got there rather late. But I like that because I didn't have to worry about sunscreen. Nobody got burned. We got a little chilly. But we got to observe this spectacular sunset and I got to take lots of pictures.

Earlier in the day, I told Peter I needed to get out of the house or I was going to go crazy. I really meant it. I wanted to strangle Ethan (in a nice way, of course). Peter asked me if I wanted to go alone and I just didn't feel like that would be fair to the children. They deserve to get out as well and have been stuck at home like me.

My favorite place to go is the beach, besides Disneyland. Peter was very obliging and understanding and agreed to go. The sand of the beach annoys him. The clean up is such a hassle.

We didn't get home until very late. We didn't leave the beach until after sunset around 8:30 PM. I had to photographically document the setting of the sun (silly me!) and then we had to desand the kids. That takes awhile.

But, do you know about the miracles of baby powder? I bet you don't. Well, if you have sand in those tender spots that aren't meant to have sand and that chafe when sand is present, just sprinkle some baby powder there and the sand magically goes away. Of course, you have to do some work and rub it away but the sand disappears.

But, I just wanted to share with you one of my favorite photos I took at the beach that day. I think I have finally mastered the concept of silhouettes on my camera. For me, being at the beach with the sand and the sound of the surf is like pushing that little reset button we have on so many of our electronic gadgets. I can start over fresh and feel better about things. I just thought I would share that in case you ever wanted to know!

Thanks for reading and your patience with my ramblings. :)

No comments:

Counter