Saturday, March 28, 2009

Simple Sugar Cookies (No Roll!)


Yesterday before all the hullaballoo of Peter's kidney stone acting up was Cookie Friday.
My kids are big fans of cookies. At the store, they want me to buy this cookie or that cookie. But, being the super woman that I am, I can stop all their requests with this one sentence, "I'm making cookies today." They immediately shut their pie holes and wait in anticipation for the first batch to emerge from the oven.
I want to acknowledge Karen Blackmer for the idea of cookie Friday. I liked her idea and have adopted for our family use. What a great way to celebrate the end of another week of hard work. Thanks Karen!
Yesterday, I decided to make this recipe I got from a friend in our first married ward. It was the BYU 1st Ward and my friend who gave me this recipe is Tracy Dean. She is a great lady and a good example of motherhood and the Gospel. I hadn't made this recipe in YEARS. But, every time I do I ask myself, why I waited so long to make those cookies. They are simple and delicious. They disappear at record speeds! Here's the recipe:

No Roll Sugar Cookies
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 egg
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine shortening and butter, mix until well blended. Add sugar and the egg and beat until creamy. Add the remaining dry ingredients and vanilla. Form into balls and dip each ball into sugar. Press each ball with the bottom of a glass on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 350. Makes 3 dozen cookies

Icing (optional, but TOTALLY recommended)
Confectioner's Glaze
combine 1 c. powdered sugar and add 1/4 tsp. vanilla and add enough milk about 1 Tbs. to make it spreadable.

No comments:

Counter